Wellington, New Zealand’s capital, is a great city to visit. Set around a harbour and ringed by mountains there are fantastic vistas in all directions, as well as loads of interesting activities to keep you entertained.
But where to begin? Our top recommendations are…
- Go and see the glow worms in the Botanic Gardens – Wait until dark then head to the Botanic Gardens to see some incredible glow worms along the riverbanks.
- Visit Zealandia (formerly Karori wildlife sanctuary) for a chance to see some of the native flora and fauna
- Head out to Red Rocks seal colony and get up close to the New Zealand fur seals
- Take the cable car from Lambton Quay up to the observatory in Kelburn for excellent views over the city.
- Try and spot orca in the harbour. Pods of transient killer whales are semi-regular visitors to the harbour so keep your eyes out. We were fortunate enough to see a couple of orca up close one morning.
- Go and see a rugby game at Wellington Stadium – A national obsession; a trip to New Zealand isn’t complete without going to see a rugby match.
*Thanks for reading our post. We have so many more adventures, stories, tips and advice to share so why not follow the blog below to get a quick email each time we publish a new post.
Like the photos? You can find out more about our gear on the links below.